Many Floridians who live in a home built after 2002, or after 1994 in Miami-Dade or Broward counties, do not realize that their home may qualify for one or more insurance discounts with Hurricane Protection upgrades like Hurricane Shutters.
DISCLAIMER: The discounts presented at the end of this survey are given as a percentage of the wind portion of your total insurance premium. The wind portion of your premium is between 15 and 70 percent of your total premium, depending on where you live in Florida.
Florida law requires insurance companies to offer homeowners discounts or credits for existing building features or home improvements that reduce damage and loss from hurricanes. Florida insurance companies are required to file these discounts with the Office of Insurance Regulation.
This Web site offers homeowners general discount information by insurance company and explains what range of discounts may be available. Discount information is available for an estimated 60 insurance companies on this Web site, and updates will continue to be posted.
DISCLAIMER: A new law passed during the 2006 Session requires the Office of Insurance Regulation to evaluate all discounts filed by insurance companies and to ensure insurance companies are providing eligible homeowners with applicable discounts by July 1, 2007.
The discounts presented at the end of the survey are given as a percentage of the wind portion of your total insurance premium. The wind portion of your premium is between 15 and 70 percent of your total premium, depending on where you live in Florida.
HOW TO APPLY FOR YOUR INSURANCE DISCOUNT
1. Contact your agent or your company directly to find out the specific items for which discounts are available.
2. Verify the amount of the discount for each item as it applies to YOUR policy. For example: Hurricane shutters will result in a 30 percent discount on the windstorm premium. The windstorm premium is $300 of the total $600 annual premium. Therefore, the discount will equal a $90 annual savings on the premium.
3. Request the specific criteria that is needed to apply for and receive the discounts that are listed for your company. Example: Does the roof need to be inspected by a certified wind inspector? Do the shutters need to meet a specific wind resistance rating?
4. Verify the documentation that needs to be submitted in order to apply for and receive the discounts. Example: photos of the items installed, proof of purchase and installation.
5. Verify to whom the documentation should be submitted. Be sure to keep copies of all documentation, the date submitted and the mailing verification information.
6. Request confirmation of when the discount will take effect.
7. Verify if the discount will be in the form of a premium discount, a credit to your premium balance or a refund on premium paid.
Robert H. - September - 2018 - Beaufort, South Carolina My Accordion Shutters are up! The windows took about 1.5 hours each. The shutters all fit very nicely, the material and finish is excellent, and they look very good. They are not intrusive at all. I am pleased, my wife is pleased ( you know that is important) and my neighbor, who helped me was impressed based upon his window/door experience. Good job! Thanks.
Marcus J. - August - 2018 - St. John, U.S Virgin Islands Hello everyone at Empire, Marcus from St. John here. This project is being done by me and 1 helper, and we're going back much stronger, with many more tap cons, and wedge anchors than the original installers had done. Your rolling shutters are amazing, great quality and workmanship. Everything is going great so far!
David G. - July - 2018 - Sarasota, Florida
We wanted to self-install so we bought accordions and roll downs from Empire Construction.We measured our window and patio and sent Empire the specs.The shutters were an exact match.Installation is very doable for two reasonably mechanical people. In this case it was only one mechanical person and some extra hands. The accordions were a breeze as installation was mostly marking holes for spots, drilling holes, and screwing them in.Our accordions have locking pins that hold them open and act as a second lock when closed. Even if a projectile breaks the lock the rods will keep the shutters closed.These shutters are Bertha HV1. They are High Velocity Hurricane Zone Approved. Having seen a wide range of shutters we are extremely happy with the quality of the product we received!!
Jim J. - June - 2018 - Homestead , Florida
I installed fourteen aluminum accordion shutters which I purchased from Empire Construction.I could not be happier with my choice.The shutters are made very well and are powder-coated.The purchase included all of the required hardware which was powder-coated to match the shutters.The company is very customer-oriented.Michael and his staff were wonderful.They were attentive, helpful, and a delight to work with.The installation video on the website made the installation very easy.I highly recommend Empire Construction to anyone considering a purchase of hurricane shutters. Thanks again. Please say Hi to everyone,
Steffan L. - May - 2018 - St. Croix, US Virgin Islands, Florida
I picked up my shipment today at Paradise freight here on St Croix. Your shipping (and your products) deserves the highest rating. Thanks for excellent service..